Friday, August 8, 2008

muse-ik

So... the videos are gettin' a little sparse up in here, huh? Well, that's what zero self worth and an unhealthy self image will do, I suppose. But, hey. Can't very well leave you hangin', now can I? So, other than anger, what's happening?

The answer is, as usual, not much. The one piece of good news is that I was approved for extended unemployment which will help me to not die while I continue looking for work. The other thing is that I'm trying to be ever so slightly more creative again. I can't remember if I ever mentioned it in the past but I did used to play the guitar and write songs once upon a time ago. Last night I dug out the trusty acoustic in hopes that the muse might strike. So far I've got an opening chord progression and about two lines of lyrics. Not much, I know, but it's more than I've done in many, many years.

In an effort to push myself forward I'm going to share an old song that I wrote after quietly watching Lake Michigan with a few friends at night on a late autumn evening. I don't know why, but I absolutely love that body of water. I live nowhere near it but I'd travel the 700 miles just to sit at it's shores for an hour or two. The song is about the lake, death, and renewal. It also sucks, I can't sing, and I'm fairly certain a cheap casio was involved. Consider this a special blog only gem. I don't really want to subject myself to the abject mockery that posting this on you tube would bring. So, here you go.




be gentle...

8 comments:

Renee said...

If you ever make it back to see that lake again, ring me up...you always have a friend in Michigan.

Unless, of course, you're looking at it from the east side, which would be shame.

Or unles the economy finally drives me away.

Lori D said...

The song was brilliant dammit. I was immediately enraptured by its Floydian-like minor chord progression along with the resounding stereophonic keyboard effect. I would definitely put that baby on youtube if I'd created it. It's beautiful. Thanks for sharing it babe.

Angel said...

What a pretty song... and I miss Lake Michigan too. I grew up only two miles from it in Indiana, and loved the Dunes.

Vulnavia Morbius said...

You're too modest. While the singing could be more confident, the music itself is fine. It has a Big Star sort of feel to it, which is very pleasurable.

Julie-Anne said...

Damn, that was a beautiful song!

Thanks for sharing it with us. :-)

Luka said...

Look, you're much too hard on yourself. While a bit sparse at the start it really took off and the finish was amazing. That song could easily have been on many of the records in my collection.

riftgirl said...

Beautiful. And seeing how Lake Michigan is literally right outside my window and usually lit by a moon overhead, very appropriate.

Pine Point Memoirs said...

Hey there,

That was awesome. That song made me think of being in Europe (I'm in America - *sigh*) and doing things that make me feel really happy. I say corny stuff but I'm trying to say I loved your song and loved where it brought me. I wish I could post it on my MySpace page (with credits of course :)

RibbonFest