Friday, July 25, 2008

post, belated

So even though most of you have likely already partaken of the most recent episode of the Tranny Hermit, I am going to post it here anyway because, hey, why not? Here you go:



I mention in this video that I've been feeling much better emotionally, but I have kind of been glossing over certain physical issues that have been going on. I really don't want to talk about those in video format so I figure, hey, that's what blogging is for, right?

I don't know if I've ever said this but, if you're young and confused, don't transition the way I've been doing it. I are not smart. Before I get into what's plaguing me these days, please allow me to give you a little background. I know there's an overall assumption that transition is very new to me. The truth is, I have been taking hormones in drips and drabs for nearly three years now. You might be thinking to yourself "Who takes hormones but doesn't actually transition?" That, uh, that would be me. Yeah. Have I mentioned how stupid I am? Moving on.

While I'm no fan of the gatekeeper mentality, there are certain rules in place for a reason. For example, you should get a gender therapist. I don't have one of those and that is a big, big, HUGE mistake. It's not that I ever have any doubts that I'm a transsexual. The problems extend from two places. The first is that I've had no place to talk through all the feelings I've had and the second is that I have no access now to major surgery some of which I kind of need.

You're probably thinking to yourself, "Lily... did you get your hormones from the internets?" and the answer to that, thankfully, is no. However I'm sure many of you would find it morally questionable that an endocrinologist would so freely dole out estrogen and testosterone blockers to anyone who shows up to their office. The real trouble is that my endo is... well, he can be sort of apathetic. Case in point: when premarin proved to be a little too rough on my body he switched me to a plant estrogen called Ogen. Let me give you a little insight: Ogen isn't worth shit. It did nothing for me other than probably damage the hell out of my innards and I took it for something like two and a half years. Also? I was supposed to get a shot every other week but, uh, I've been poor in my life and my endo insists on being the one to inject me. So, yeah. I only got a shot once every other month or so.

Bad. Not good. The physical changes were minimal, I had no emotional way of reaching out, and so I damaged my body and mind. I wasn't transitioning either. Not even a little bit. Was I insane? I guess, kinda, yeah, although I think "stupid moron" fits the bill a bit better.

Fast forward to January '08 and I finally thought "Maybe I should start taking this seriously". I went back on the premarin, got my biweekly shots, and tagged on some flutamide for those hard to reach testosterone areas. I start to actually transition publicly, tell some of my family what's going on, come up with a new name, switch the pronouns, yada yada. Party. Except there's this problem. Physically, I look identical to my grandmother. I mean I am like a carbon copy of her which is swell except for the fact that she has had cancer on more than one occasion.

So, as the months pass, I think to myself "Self, maybe this is fucking dangerous what I'm doing here". I pushed passed those thoughts though because, honestly, my hypochondria can be kind of epic. But then it started. The random discomfort like my body was achey but in very concentrated areas. It started on my side but eventually I started to notice it all along my lower body. Some days it's been difficult to walk. This week I noticed the discomfort in my stomach and I can feel a lump there. There are lumps in a few places on my body. I mentioned the discomfort on my side a month or so back to my endo but he insisted it was all good in the tranny hood and not to worry about it.

I'm really worried though. What if I'm choc full o' tumors? I don't mean to say it so nonchalantly but, fuck dudes, I seriously do not want to die. If I'd been to a therapist I could talk to them about it but instead all I have is Captain Whatever the endocrinologist who thinks I'm fine. I'll be seeing him on Monday and I'm going to bring it up again.

I don't mean to worry people but I am just a little panicked about this situation. I try to keep it out of my mind but it's hard. If only I'd had a gender therapist I could have had an orchiectomy by now instead of pumping myself full of pills putting myself at risk. Oye. I apologize. I literally have no place else to vent this. My mother has literally said that if I die then it's my own damned fault so I'm kind of facing the potential consequences alone.

Sigh... at least Buffyfest is this weekend. Hopefully I can distract myself until Monday. I'll keep you all updated as soon as I figure out more.

8 comments:

Lori D said...

Great advice, girl. HRT ain't a funny thing to F*** with with the potential to harm you as much as help you.
And yay to the getting a gender therapist. If it weren't for mine, I'd have gone nuts long ago.
Wait, I still am. Scratch that.

Vulnavia Morbius said...

You might ask your endo to put you on estradiol instead of premarin. You get the same hormone package minus the equine estrogens, so it's easier on your system. My endo wanted to put me on premarin, but I nipped that in the bud because I have some qualms about taking something that's derived from horse urine. But that's just me.

Having someone to talk to is huge. I have a lot of people in my day to day life to talk to, so my need for a therapist isn't as pronounced as it might be, but I'm not sorry I have a therapist. Fortunately, I have a pretty good one, and she's been invaluable for finding services that I would not otherwise have found on my own.

The notion that you're seeding your body with tumors is terrifying. I hope it turns out to be nothing but hypochondria, and I hope your family history is due to lifestyle or exposure to carcinogens rather than genetics. But you never know.

Good luck.

riftgirl said...

I'm an estradiol advocate, myself. And I can relate to the worry over the whole "what am I doing to myself in the long-term?" - especially seeing how I've been on hormones for six years now and don't see GRS anytime in my near future. So, testosterone levels be damned, I pretty much take lowest dosage I can - and that coupled with a very bad memory as to whether or not I even remember to pop a pill in the morning...

I think a therapist is good. Some are great. Some are dismal. Feel free to check out a few until you find the one for you. And you might want to find a new endocrinologist as well. Since you'd be having your medical records forwarded and are already on HRT, hopefully you shouldn't have any problem with keeping the prescription going.

I believe HRT is different for everybody and isn't an exact science, so it's important to try and learn what your body's telling you - to up or down the dosage as well as adjust over time.

Renee said...

There's a doc somewhere in Detroit that a couple of my friends went to. He'll prescribe 'mones on a whim, it seems. Which is perhaps a little better than the DIY internet method, but still.

Things like therapy aren't cheap...God knows my medical bills continue to pile up, and a good chunk of it all is covered by my insurance. But I love my therapist, almost as if he's a friend now. He's definitely a part of my support group.

So what is/was on the Buffyfest docket this weekend? Season 3 and season 6 were my personal faves...

strongback said...

I am not a therapist but i sometimes play one while working on clients.(as RG pointed out I should mention I am a massage therapist) Its funny what people will tell you naked(under a sheet) face down on a padded table. Maybe I should go back to school to include counseling, and combine the two.

But back to you, have you looked into getting free or greatly reduced meds and counseling from your county. You may even be able to get free meds direct from the manufacture based on income. something to check out. I get it, but for depression, add, bipolar and being a bit of a loser. Although the projectile vomit and seeing jogging zombie side effects while amusing are somewhat troublesome.

On the job front, I think you could be a great writer for a show, I would say performer but I don't know if you have any experience. Making things up on a resume is always fun, as in embellishing job tittles. Good luck and may the force be with you

strongback said...

I don't know what I was thinking but I just read the rest of your post. "you deseve to die" wow coming from mom that is one of the harshest things I have ever heard. Is there a free clinic around your area? sometimes even calling up like a nurse physician thing and explaining your symptoms could be helpful. Big hug to you for support and hope. Buffyfest will be fun, take your mind off things.

Tracee said...

Hopefully your endo is doing blood work on you every six months or so. Expensive? Si!! But it's the only way they can monitor what your T / E levels are and how the meds are doing. The results might indicate if some cancer thing is happening, dunno, some cancers are hereditary most are not depending if you smoke / abuse your body.

I noticed on another post that you mentioned that you're in the NY(C?) area; if so you should consider the Callen - Lorde Community Health Centre in NYC. They have a sliding scale for those that are feeling strapped. I had a private endo up 'til a year ago, he dropped off the face of the earth, and I tried Callen Lorde. They are sooo good to us, and I feel better about giving my bucks to an outfit that helps the entire community.

They have youth programs, also, I'm guessing you fit into that group...

Of course everyones' different, and their react to 'mones are different. I've been on Spiro (100mG) and Estradiol (4 mG) daily since the mid-90s' with no bad effects, only the good ones. This dosage seems to be the "industry standard" these days.

Anyway, hope you're enjoying / enjoyed Buffest and congrats on your fine blog.

KC said...

Best of luck with the rest of your transition - I know it can be scary and uncertain sometimes for all of us... I think you have a great attitude and you're certainly an inspiration to me ;-)