Monday, November 10, 2008

Duanna, This one's for you

Hey.

Sorry I've been gone a while. My health is still not awesome. I don't want to talk about that though. I want to make a vow right here and right now to stand up and defend all of my trans brothers and sisters. So close to the day of Remembrance and Duanna Johnson, who stood up against hate for all of us is dead. I am gutted. To think I spent much of today arguing with someone because they called me a "nazi" on the internet. Why was I expending all that energy on something so meaningless when Duanna Johnson was fighting for me and my right to walk down the street without being, mocked, beaten, arrested, and killed?

Lori asked "Who's got your back?" Well I don't know who has my back but I hope you know that I have yours. Even if I can never transition I still know the fear of walking down a street at night alone and having that terrible knowledge of what could happen and just how likely it is. I've lost jobs and I've been abandoned just because I'm trans. I never met Duanna but I weep for her as though she were my own blood.

I'm angry but that anger gives me strength. We have to be strong for one another. We have to fight. I am fighting for you. Maybe someday Duanna's fate will be my own but I swear this: so long as I draw breath I will not quit until we can feel safe when we walk down the street. Until that day, lock arms with me kids and we'll walk this road together. And if someone tries to hurt us? We will fuck their shit up!

4 comments:

Lori D said...

"We'll F* T* S* U*..."

Amen, sister. I ain't 'fraid.

Anonymous said...

I am here for you and all of our sisters everywhere. I truly think that we may be at the beginning of an age of enlightment for trans and gay persons. It took many years for racial equality to become a reality and hopefully, our freedom is near. And take care of yourself. We are all thinking and pulling for you. Lots of Love to All, Julia Mitchell

Heathercam said...

What can I say to your eloquent and fierce post, except to echo Lori and say "Amen" too. The forces of ignorance and violence cannot be allowed to prevail. I just hope to live long enough to see a world with no more need for martyrs.

alan said...

The world wasn't supposed to be this way anymore...especially here in America...

alan